mossjon

Autumn Adventures

Hammered (Iron Druid Chronicles, #3)
Luke Daniels, Kevin Hearne
Progress: 94 %
The Graveyard Book - Neil Gaiman I am pleasantly surprised that I enjoyed this novel -- quick satisfying young adult fantasy/supernatural tale. "It takes a graveyard" to raise a suddenly orphaned baby (re-named Nobody 'Bod' Owens by his adopted dead parents). Silas, another mysterious denizen of this abandoned graveyard-cum-nature preserve, agrees to be the boy's guardian and provide food and clothing for Bod, since the other ghost residents are unable to leave the grounds. Each chapter covers an incident or memorable moment in the life of Bod, usually for a particular year, like age five, age eight, age eleven. Because he's under the protection of the graveyard, he learns skills normally reserved for ghosts, like Fading, Haunting, Fear, Dreamwalking, etc. Bod seldom ventures outside the grounds because his parents' murderer still seeks to terminate him. Once this mystery is solved, Bod is free to leave the graveyard safely and explore the world of the living. While necessary to the plot, I felt pity for all these ghosts confined to this graveyard - seems a poor excuse for an afterlife. And once Bod leaves, will they fade away like the mists in the dawn, forgotten and slumbering in the overgrown graveyard up the hill?