mossjon

Autumn Adventures

Hammered (Iron Druid Chronicles, #3)
Luke Daniels, Kevin Hearne
Progress: 94 %
Cloak of Magic  - S.A. Rule If you like stories of political intrigue and corruption, then you will enjoy this novel. However, if you were expecting high fantasy, you will be disappointed. The system of magic is mostly psi powers and there are two or three magical creatures cameoed (dragons, a unicorn and a phoenix). I struggled so much reading this novel, that I finally shifted mental gears and treated it as a historical fiction about the Roman Empire with the names changed to protect the innocent (or not so innocent). Even that failed me at times because at least with our own history, I can rally to the struggles of the Celts or the Picts because of a shared heritage. I didn't like nor connect with any of the characters. The one character I had any sympathy for became the ultimate tragic disappointment.