mossjon

Autumn Adventures

Hammered (Iron Druid Chronicles, #3)
Luke Daniels, Kevin Hearne
Progress: 94 %
Armageddon's Children (Genesis Of Shannara) - Terry Brooks, Dick Hill I listened to this while driving to and from North Texas twice - once for Easter and once for my daughter's college graduation. I had extreme difficulty finding a satisfactory volume level for Dick Hill's voice. He had a tendency to whisper breathily in an overdramatic way for character's dialogue. This contrasted steeply with his narration, which boomed forth, sometimes unexpectedly. Male voices with deep resonance do not a gentle listening experience make. I selected this title to 'fill in the blanks' of my Shanarra timeline, as this novel harks back to the very beginning, within twenty years of the apocalypse that wiped out the world as we know it. I also hoped that my husband would enjoy listening with me in the car on the road-trip. He has read other Terry Brooks novels and liked them. He slept through many of the CDs, but due to the slow pace of the novel, had little difficulty 'catching up' when he awoke. Brooks rushed the ending, leaving us hanging, literally, from a cliff. Everything from our protagonists' lives to the fate of humans doomed to oblivion. I won't be continuing with the rest of the Genesis of Shannara series. I don't feel any burning compulsion to find out what happens next, especially if the pace continues to plod slowly into the pit, of what I don't know.