mossjon

Autumn Adventures

Hammered (Iron Druid Chronicles, #3)
Luke Daniels, Kevin Hearne
Progress: 94 %
A Princess of Mars - Edgar Rice Burroughs, John Seelye Read this as an ebook from the Project Gutenberg edition of this novel - http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/62Very enjoyable via my BlackBerry on my morning commute and before bed. I was amazed at how well this novel appealed to me. For a science fiction novel published in 1912 (actually as a six-part serial in a magazine that year), it has stood the test of time quite well. Granted what we know of Mars makes much of the story ludicrous if you look at it strictly from a factual point of view. But if you suspend belief and imagine that Mars is actually not the Mars we know, but an imaginary world or planet of Burroughs devising, then it's a fine story in an interesting setting. I should have read this years ago. It was entertaining and just a good all around yarn. The only disappointment, for me, and for the main character, John Carter, was the abrupt cliff-hanger like ending. I will eventually read more of the Barsoom series so hopefully that plot hole will be resolved in a later novel.