mossjon

Autumn Adventures

Hammered (Iron Druid Chronicles, #3)
Luke Daniels, Kevin Hearne
Progress: 94 %
The Harrowing of Gwynedd  - Katherine Kurtz I've been reading Kurtz's Deryni novels for decades now. And in all honesty, I read it more like history or a memoir than fantasy. The "magic" elements are genetically transmitted psi powers and for the most part can't be learned. However, I'm a sucker for a holocaust story. And the love between Rhys and Evaine is timeless and tragic. The Harrowing of Gwynedd relates the beginning of the darkest time for the Deryni. The beginning of the persecutions and executions that will last for decades (probably centuries - I'm a bit foggy on the details since it's been years since I read this novel). Bishop Allister Cullen, who is really Camber of Culdi using a shape-changing geis, is unable to stem the tide of the inevitable human backlash against the Deryni. The Regency council for the young king Alroy writes and enacts many anti-Deryni laws, severely curtailing their rights as citizens and the church also prevents them from seeking solace in the clergy. In fact, the church only stops short of excommunication if the Deryni renounces his heritage and lives meekly beneath the boot heal of the humans. Kurtz is good at political intrigue both in a medieval court and among the clergy. The characters strive to preserve their heritage and struggle to ensure the survival of their race. I enjoy reading the Deryni novels. Sometimes there is romance, sometimes a mystery, and almost always intrigue.