mossjon

Autumn Adventures

Hammered (Iron Druid Chronicles, #3)
Luke Daniels, Kevin Hearne
Progress: 94 %
Cowboy Feng's Space Bar and Grill - Steven Brust This was not your typical Stephen Brust novel. In fact, I've never read anything quite like this. It's told in first person (with a few Intermezzos of third person to fill in the blanks) of a banjo player in a folk band named Billy. We meet Billy in Cowboy Feng's as he listens to his band mates tuning up for the evening gig. The gig is cut short by a nuclear explosion which catapults the bar through time and space to another planet. They were on Mars, prior to that on Venus, prior to that a lunar colony and original in London on Old Earth. Eventually, we learn there is a war being fought between two factions of humanity. One faction is a society based on fear and ignorance, using a fatal disease (called Hag's disease) as a catalyst. This society uses the disease as an excuse to quarantine itself and destroy the rest of humanity to prevent the spread of infection. The small group of employees at Feng's bar and the band members who were accidentally (perhaps) sucked into the rebel cause, are trying to discover how to stop the extermination of billions of humans by the enemy. The story was engaging, sometimes funny, sometimes violent and eventually reached a conclusion that was sacrificial but successful. It was an interesting read, but I'm not sure I would re-read it.