mossjon

Autumn Adventures

Hammered (Iron Druid Chronicles, #3)
Luke Daniels, Kevin Hearne
Progress: 94 %
Warrior Woman - Marion Zimmer Bradley A short novel written in first person point-of-view of a woman with amnesia who is captured, raped and sold into slavery. Rather than submit to perpetual sexual abuse, she manages to grab a gladiator's sword and kill him. This gives her the "choice" as a gladiator in the Arena, provided she survives her first bought to the death. Zadieyek, as she is called, which means "dreadful woman," does survive and lives to fight another day, make friends, have adventures seeking other female warriors for her patron's tammarim (a word meaning fourteen or a group of fourteen gladiators). Zadieyek eventually remembers her real name but in her travels she finds no one that knows her and remembers nothing else of her past. Upon returning to the Arena, she has an exhibition bought with a novice fighter who turns out to be her sworn brother in arms. In a flash, her memory returns and she learns she crash landed on this barbaric planet and her peers have been searching for her for weeks. The novel was a fast read, but very superficial. I made no connections with the characters, beyond the slight interest in the mystery of Zadieyek's past. I could have done with out the bisexual and homosexual romps, but that's just me.