mossjon

Autumn Adventures

Hammered (Iron Druid Chronicles, #3)
Luke Daniels, Kevin Hearne
Progress: 94 %
Starship Troopers - Robert A. Heinlein Probably 3.5 stars but I'll round up since it did win the Hugo. The beginning and the ending chapters were good. The middle was interesting, but not controversial. I believe Heinlein asked himself the question "What if our 20th century democracies collapsed? What if veterans picked up the pieces? What sort of government would result?" He answered with Starship Troopers. The Bug Hunt was just gravy. Most of the philosophical dissertations intrigued me, probably because of the military slant. Even though this was told in the first person from Juan Rico's point of view, I never really connected with his character. Nor did I feel the threat of the bug-like aliens. They seemed a convenient vehicle to provide a backdrop of war to fuel the recruitment fires, which in turn allowed Heinlein to provide a glimpse of a near-future military government through the eyes of a green recruit and his training. If you're looking for a lot of action, raids, battles or traditional science fiction, you won't find it here in abundance. All those elements exist, but only as examples and evidence for the author's lectures.