mossjon

Autumn Adventures

Hammered (Iron Druid Chronicles, #3)
Luke Daniels, Kevin Hearne
Progress: 94 %
Sabriel (The Abhorsen Trilogy, #1) - Garth Nix 3.75 starsSabriel attends Wyverley College, a boarding school for girls on the Ancelstierre side of the Wall. In addition to reading, writing and arithmatic, she studies Charter Magic and necromancy. Her father, the Abhorsen, usually visits from the Old Kingdom once or twice a year. He trains her in binding the Dead so they stay dead using The Book of the Dead, Charter Magic and the Bells. When her father fails to visit, Sabriel grows worried and seeks to find him across the Wall in the Old Kingdom. Almost immediately after crossing, Sabriel is best by Dead roaming and hunting the countryside near the Wall. She narrowly escapes the first attack and flees to her father's home to rest, recuperate and research. The rest of the story relates Sabriel's search for her father and discovery of the serious threats facing the Old Kingdom. The magic system consists of the Charter and a Charter Symbol for everything (apparently an almost infinite number of them). Necromancy, at least the kind practiced by the Abhorsens, deals with the binding of the dead through pure tones, usually generated by bells, and a hands-on knowledge of the topography and Gates of Death. Free Magic represents wildness and can be bound by silver and the bells as well. Sabriel seemed very mature for a teenager, but that's understandable with what she's been taught and thrust into. Touchstone, as guardian sidekick and love interest, is formulaic but comforting. The final climactic ending delivered a good punch and not much of a cliff hanger, for which I'm very grateful. If I continue this series, I will do so because I want to, not because I have to. I recommend this to anyone who likes fantasy and wants to foray down a different more supernatural path of adventure.