mossjon

Autumn Adventures

Hammered (Iron Druid Chronicles, #3)
Luke Daniels, Kevin Hearne
Progress: 94 %
Heroes Die - Matthew Stover 3.5 starsThe pros: Great combat scenes, lots of fast-paced action, dystopian future Earth reminiscent of ancient history repeating itself, and plots within plots ... all for your entertainment. The cons: Prolific profanity (although I suppose it could be argued that it's all relevant and 'in character'), graphic violence (again relevant and 'in character'), lust/love seen through testosterone-tinged viewpoint and only one decent character afloat in the grey morass of moral ambiguity. Heroes Die drug me through Ankhana at Caine's frenetic pace on his quest to rescue his ex-wife Pallas Rill. On the way, much mayhem, mystery, magic and murder mixed together to clot in a blood-soaked climax spanning two dimensions and leaving the seeds of revolution behind to sprout in both. The beauty and grace of some of the individual combat sequences took my breath away. I re-read some of them just to re-visualize the blow-by-blow more precisely. Oddly, I found myself comparing this story to The Hunger Games from a broader, visionary perspective. Both stories have dystopian totalitarian governments ruling Earth and 'bread and circuses' style entertainment to keep the masses (the workers/castes) in their place.