mossjon

Autumn Adventures

Hammered (Iron Druid Chronicles, #3)
Luke Daniels, Kevin Hearne
Progress: 94 %
Imager's Challenge: The Second Book of the Imager Portfolio - L.E. Modesitt Jr. 2.75 starsThis new series by Modesitt is just not striking a chord with me, not like the Recluse Saga or the Spellsong Cycle did. I kept reading because I wanted to discover what happened, but not because I cared about Rhenn or any of the other characters. In that respect, it read more like a mystery rather than a character driven fantasy novel. And I still don't care for the magic system, which masquerades as psychic powers rather than something wondrous. If Modesitt set out to make a social or political statement with this series, I'm not sure he's succeeding. Since the story is told in the first person (through Rhenn's eyes only), I'm only getting Rhenn's perception of the world and how his life is affected (negatively as far as he's concerned according to his monologues). Of course, he relates his conversations and debates with his peers, colleagues and mentors (often didactically for the latter). Some of the paradigms I can agree with or at least relate to. I'm not feeling compelled to continue this series after reading this second installment.