mossjon

Autumn Adventures

Hammered (Iron Druid Chronicles, #3)
Luke Daniels, Kevin Hearne
Progress: 94 %
Day of War (Lion of War #1) - Cliff Graham I snagged this novel from one of the Barnes & Nobel free Friday offerings for Nook owners. A Christian fiction, with heavy emphasis on Bronze Age/Early Iron age military tactics, retelling or 'filling in the blanks' of David and his warriors (and Jonathan and his army). In his Note to the Reader, Cliff Graham references 2 Samuel 23 and 1 Chronicles 11 as inspiration for his retelling of David and his 'Dirty Dozen.' He warns the reader about the battle violence and after-battle pillaging and plundering, although compared to some of the dark fantasy I've read, Graham did an admirable job restraining himself from too much gratuitous violence or sex. He modernized the language (both internal and external) to such a degree that I found it distracting. And he repeatedly lapsed back into passive voice, despite his riveting active voice fight scenes. A compelling read, but I'm not the intended audience (which probably requires a lot more testosterone than I have flowing through my estrogenized veins).