mossjon

Autumn Adventures

Hammered (Iron Druid Chronicles, #3)
Luke Daniels, Kevin Hearne
Progress: 94 %
Snow White, Blood Red - Ellen Datlow, Terri Windling, Esther M. Friesner, Susan Wade Average rating: 3.05 starsLike a Red, Red Rose by Susan Wade **** Several fairy tale motifs are present in this story including a cottage in the woods, an innocent girl, a witch and a prince. Wades recombines the old ingredients into a new recipe as effective as any of the traditional variations. The Moon is Drowning While I Sleep by Charles de Lint *** The dream world crossing over into the real world and possibly into Faerie just didn't do it for me. The Frog Prince by Gahan Wilson ** Even worse than the dream world in the previous story, this story has a delusional man convinced he's hallucinating himself as the frog prince. Stalking Beans by Nancy Kress * This adult fairy tale was too adult for me and too male as well, especially since it was written by a female. Snow-Drop by Tanith Lee **** Riveting retelling of Snow White from a completely twisted and different point-of-view. Little Red by Wendy Wheeler *** Retelling of Little Red Riding Hood from the wolf's point of viewI Shall Do Thee Mischief in the Wood by Kathie Koja 2 Again a retelling of Little Red Riding Hood, from the wolf's point of view and turned on it's head. The Root of the Matter by Gregory Frost *** An average retelling of Rapunzel. The Princess in the Tower by Elizabeth A. Lynn **** A very good retelling of Rapunzel, from a male perspective, poignant ending. Persimmon by Harvey Jacobs ** Thumbalina but again, too "adult" for my tastes. Little Poucet Steve Rasnic Tem ** Another little known fairy tale that was too "X" rated for my tastes. The Changelings by Melanie Tem ** Pitiful mother of a changeling child and the ending will leave you disappointed by the delusion. The Springfield Swans by Caroline Stevermer and Ryan edmonds **** A wonderful retelling of "The Wild Swans" using a baseball team theme. Troll Bridge Neil Gaiman **** Grimm told it first, but Gaiman told "Three Billy Goats Gruff" better. A Sound, Like Angels Singing by Leonard Rysdy *** It's not until you are almost finished that you realize this the Pied Piper told from the point of view of a deaf or at least tone-deaf mother rat. Puss by Esther M. Friesner **** Immortal cats with wings, personalities and powers but bound to mortals by honor. The Glass Casket by Jack Dann **** My favorite short story of the collection. Reminded me of "The Inner Light" my favorite Star Trek TNG episode that one a Hugo. Knives by Jane Yolen *** A short dark poem about Cinderella.The Snow Queen by Patricia A. McKillip **** My second favorite story of the collection - a modern day love triangle between Gerda and Kay (who are married) and Neva (the Snow Queen). Breadcrubs and Stones Lisa Goldstein *** Hanzel and Gretel meet the Holocaust - full of regrets and secrets held too closely to the breast and unto the deathbeds of the survivors.