mossjon

Autumn Adventures

Hammered (Iron Druid Chronicles, #3)
Luke Daniels, Kevin Hearne
Progress: 94 %
Mockingjay  - Suzanne  Collins I read this as part of the The Hunger Games Trilogy omnibus ebook edition. I had high hopes for the final novel of the series, especially after thoroughly enjoying the second novel, Catching Fire. I agree with a few other GoodReads reviewers who stated that Collins accomplished her goal in painting the stark reality that war and violence accomplish nothing and apparently humans can't help but repress and destroy each other, even unto their own extinction. I also had hope of learning more about the history that led up to the rise of the Panem. But Collins only choose to go back three generations and only once or twice made a reference to the world before the rise of the Panem from the ashes of our civilization. I suspect a nod to Ray Bradbury in the name of the sharp shooter squad District 13 assigned Katniss and Gale to as part of the rebel army. The prevalence of Ancient Roman names among the Capital citizens and a reference to 'bread and circuses' paints the Panem as a resurrected Roman Empire imploding faster than the original. While predictable, the ending left me dissatisfied. I don't feel comfortable recommending this book to young adults, even though Collins wrote it for that audience. As a 'former' parent (my kids are grown, either married or in college), I would treat this entire trilogy just like an R-rated movie. Don't read it unless you're seventeen (sixteen maybe), mostly due to the violence and gore. Very little if any sexual content exists in any of these novels.