mossjon

Autumn Adventures

Hammered (Iron Druid Chronicles, #3)
Luke Daniels, Kevin Hearne
Progress: 94 %
Undaunted Courage: Meriwether Lewis, Thomas Jefferson & the Opening of the American West - Stephen E. Ambrose

Large, thick books do not scare me. If you've delved into my blog here at all, you'll quickly learn that I read constantly and I read epic fantasy for fun. The longer, the better. The more characters and plot lines, even better. With one exception, or wait, two exceptions. I tried but didn't like G.R.R. Martin's Game of Thrones series and Steven Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen. Not my cup of tea.

So when July rolled around and saddled me with the 521 page Undaunted Courage by Ambrose, I barely batted an eye. I even took a stab at actually reading the print edition our Stranger Than Fiction discussion leader handed out to us last month when we turned in our Unbroken copies. I think I made it a couple of hundred pages before I decided listening to the audiobook would be faster (and less painful on the eyes grammatically). I checked out the audiobook on CD from the Kansas City Public Library. One thick 521 page paperback translates roughly to twenty-one hours and twenty-seven minutes (21 hr 27 mins) of narration. While technically, I could have completed listening to this audiobook in less than one day, practically and physically, I can only handle about two to three hours a day of listening, with long breaks between to give my poor eardrums a rest. The disadvantages to listening include the absence of 1) maps, 2) illustrations and photographs, 3) footnotes, 4) end notes and 5) the bibliography. The greatest advantage to listening to the audiobook was not having to learn how to properly pronounce the names of less commonly known objects, tools and places. Luckily, I had the best of both worlds at my fingertips.

I learned an incredible amount about Lewis, Clark, Thomas Jefferson, the Louisiana Purchase and the Corps of Discovery Expedition to find a water route to the Pacific Ocean via the Missouri River. Since I grew up within twenty miles of that river, I also grew up with the names "Lewis & Clark" plastered on various road signs and parks. While I had some idea of the adventures of those early trailblazing frontiersmen, Ambrose provided me with an incredible wealth of detail and anecdotal gems to keep me forging ahead. One of my favorite moments involved a nearly indestructible grizzly bear and four members of the Expedition.

For my notes from the Stranger Than Fiction discussion, please follow this link to my blog posting.

GR Status Updates:

07/05 marked as: currently-reading
07/05     1.0%
07/06     8.0% "Starting Chapter 4"
07/06     14.0% "Starting Chapter 7"
07/08     25.0% "Somewhere in chapter 10 wintering in St. Louis"
07/09     30.0% "Starting Chapter 13 ~ Entering Indian Territory (headed up river on the Missouri, north of the Platte)."
07/10     41.0% "Chapter 17 ~ Spring 1805"
07/12     49.0% "Chapter 20"
07/16     59.0% "Chapter 23"
07/17     68.0% "Chapter 26"
07/23     86.0% "chapter 32"
07/23     100.0%