mossjon

Autumn Adventures

Hammered (Iron Druid Chronicles, #3)
Luke Daniels, Kevin Hearne
Progress: 94 %
River of Stars - Guy Gavriel Kay

I liked Kay's latest effort, River of Stars, but not nearly as much as I loved his previous Under Heaven novel. I connected with the characters better in the latter, but the sweep of events propelled me swiftly along in the former.

Reflecting back on this ebook a month later, I now wish Kay had provided a bit more screen time for the female lead, Lin Shan.  I admire her as much or more than I admire Mattie Ross.  Where Mattie is headstrong, vengeful and over-confident, Lin Shan is artistic, clever and perseverant.  Both women do what no female of their times 'should have' done, but what needed to be done.

Despite those small quibbles, I consider it one of the best books I've read this year.

GR Status Updates made while reading:

08/08 marked as: currently-reading
08/08     1.0%
08/08     6.0% "Ah. Now this is more like it. Kay is a balm to my weary mind."
08/09     23.0% "She begins to cry. She dislikes that, but there is no one else in the room now, and so she permits herself this. It is the middle of the night. The moon is west. She drinks hot, scented tea from Szechen in an autumn room lit by three lamps, crowded with ancient bronze, and she watches her tears fall into the cup.
There might be a song in that, she thinks."
08/09     25.0% "Finished Part One"
08/10     30.0% "You could grow to hate yourself, or the people who had done this and caused you to make obeisance in fear. Or you could accept that there were those born to suffer, under heaven, and you were among them. She had done that last, mostly, all her life."
08/10     33.0% "There is only so much a woman can do to help her children through the hard, dark, spinning sorrows of time and the world."
08/12     44.0% "Finished Part Two"
08/12     52.0% "There are so many stories, she thinks, and most of them end up lost."
08/12     53.0% "She wraps her robe around herself and goes out on the balcony, looking at the eastern sky. The last quarter moon is up, hanging in the branches of a tall tree in the courtyard, half hidden by leaves. It is very beautiful. She watches it so long it frees itself and climbs above the leaves among the stars."
08/13     64.0% "Finished Part Three"
08/14     78.0% "Finished Part Four"
08/16     100.0%