mossjon

Autumn Adventures

Hammered (Iron Druid Chronicles, #3)
Luke Daniels, Kevin Hearne
Progress: 94 %
A Walk in the Woods - Bill Bryson

3 stars

The best parts of the book turned out to be the first and last sections, where both the author and Katz hiked together. The middle section drug on, almost torturing us, like that section of the AT in Pennsylvania. The last part, where Katz went missing, I felt, was very well written. Bryson almost had me convinced that Katz had committed suicide, but thankfully I was proved wrong.

I’m not sure I could recommend this book to other readers. As I’ve said before, non-fiction is not my normal reading experience. I joined this group to broaden my reading horizons. This venture down the AT with Bill Bryson wandered a bit, sometimes stumbled, but did shine occasionally. Hence, my three star rating.

It was a good read, but not a great one.For notes from the discussion held last month by the Stranger Than Fiction group, follow this link to my blog

GR Status Updates:

05/01 marked as: borrowed
08/05 marked as: currently-reading
08/05     1.0%
08/06     17.0% "By the late 1980s -- this is so extraordinary I can hardly stand it -- it [the US Forestry Service] was the only significant player in the American timber industry that was cutting down trees faster than it replaced them."
08/06     44.0% "Author skipping part of AT in Smokies and resuming in Virginny."
08/06     53.0% "Very very unhappy. I just realized this morning, while reading through the print edition, that the audiobook I checked out from the library is the abridged edition. I hate abridged editions. There is NO REASON to abridge such a short book (less than 300 pages in the print edition). The only saving grace is the voice actor/reader is the author."
08/07     100.0%