mossjon

Autumn Adventures

Hammered (Iron Druid Chronicles, #3)
Luke Daniels, Kevin Hearne
Progress: 94 %

The Mountains of Mourning

The Mountains Of Mourning - Lois McMaster Bujold

3.75 stars

This novella was sandwiched between Warrior's Apprentice and The Vor Game in the omnibus edition entitled Young Miles.

It occurs three years after the end of Warrior's Apprentice. Miles has graduated from the Imperial Service Academy and is home on leave before receiving his first assignment. A back country woman from the Dendarii mountains has come down to the lowlands demanding justice, as is her right, from her Count in the murder of her "mutant" infant. Miles' father deputizes him as his Voice to investigate and dispense justice. Miles' disabilities make him uniquely and ironically qualified to flush out the murderer.

Not much science fiction or space opera in this story, but plenty of mystery and hillbilly conservatism and ignorance. Miles excels at the logic and deduction necessary to uncover the culprit. He also find a justice that speaks to all the generations of the Silvy Vale.

Source: http://bit.ly/13oNxW9